What You Should Know
- EXPECT A CONFIRMATION EMAIL – You will receive a confirmation email after booking with a link to your launch site that coincides with your specific tour.
- ARRIVE 30 MINS PRIOR TO YOUR LAUNCH TIME – Please arrive 30 mins prior to launch for check-in and outfitting. Saftey Orientation will start 15 minutes prior to launch time. We plan to be on the water by your designated tour time. To respect everyones schedules, Late arrivals may be pushed to the next tour time (depending on availability).
- THE BEST TIME TO SEE BIOLUMINESCENCE: There is a 13 day window in every month where there is no moon in the sky while we are on the water at night..the window is as follows…: Book 3 days AFTER THE FULL MOON- until 1 DAY AFTER the new moon. This window will save you from the new moon crowds, while still enjoying the absolute darkness of a “New Moon” night!
- LAUNCH SITE: Haulover Canal, Titusville
- TRIP LENGTH: 90 MINS
- COST PER PERSON: $55
- INCLUDED: KAYAK, PFD, PADDLES AND HAPPY GUIDES
- MAX WEIGHT: 600LBS COMBINED WEIGHT FOR A TANDEM
- AGE RANGE: 5+
- SUGGESTIONS TO BRING: AQUATIC FOOTWEAR, BUG SPRAY, TOWEL, SUNSCREEN, AND A WATER BOTTLE
- LOCATION: Haulover Canal, Titusville
About Sunset Kayaking
On this Florida eco-tour we take you out on the Indian River Lagoon to see a Federally protected Rookery on Mullet Head Island in the Merritt IslandNational Wildlife Refuge. Our tour will launch from Haulover Canal in Titusville about an hour before susnet. Take an early evening sunset kayak trip with us to see nature untouched. Depending on the direction of the wind, you can hear the birds grunting from the launch site.
We will see a variety of birds on this tour such as Anhinga, Heron, Egrets, Ibis, White, Brown, and Common Pelicans, Falcons, and the very beautiful Roseate Spoonbill. While paddling to the Island it is not uncommon to also see other wildlife such as the Florida Bottlenose Dolphin breeching the surface of the water while chasing baitfish, Manatee swimming to where they will rest for the evening, Alligators heading out to find the unsuspecting mammal at the waters edge and Sharks running the flats in search of food.
We will try and time our tour to coincide with the setting sun and have the Rookery as the backdrop, so this is the perfect opportunity for a picture of your group. Our guides can assist you with the “snapping” of the picture so that no one in your group is left out of the photo.
We will spend a leisurely 120 mins on the water for this tour.
The Bioluminescence water comes to life at night with a magical glow everywhere it is touched by your hand, paddle, kayak, a mullet jumping, fish swimming, or even the waves lapping gently. If scooped into your hand the water will sparkle as you hold it and as it runs down your arm. Many people compare this phenomenon with being in the movie Avatar. This phenomenon is made possible by naturally occurring dinoflagellate plankton that light up the water of the river. They can be observed in these waters May through October with sightings as late as January, but are brightest during the peak season of June through October. On our 11 pm tour option, we will see the Milky Way Galaxy with our naked eyes as we paddle into our own personal observatory on the water at Grannys Cove.
You will be hard-pressed to find anything that will top this experience while you are in our great state of Florida!
No two adventures will be the same as nature is constantly on the move. No cheesy rehearsed scripts here just guides well versed in their environment.
****NOTE: During the full moon phases bioluminescence algae does not appear as brightly as during a New Moon ****