What You Should Know
- EXPECT A CONFIRMATION EMAIL – You will receive a confirmation email after booking with a link to your launch site that coincides with your specific tour.
- ARRIVE 30 MINS PRIOR TO YOUR LAUNCH TIME – Please arrive 30 mins prior to launch for check-in and outfitting. Saftey Orientation will start 15 minutes prior to launch time. We plan to be on the water by your designated tour time. To respect everyones schedules, Late arrivals may be pushed to the next tour time (depending on availability).
- THE BEST TIME TO SEE BIOLUMINESCENCE: There is a 13 day window in every month where there is no moon in the sky while we are on the water at night..the window is as follows…: Book 3 days AFTER THE FULL MOON- until 1 DAY AFTER the new moon. This window will save you from the new moon crowds, while still enjoying the absolute darkness of a “New Moon” night!
- LAUNCH SITE: Parish Park, Titusville
- TRIP LENGTH: 90 MINS
- COST PER PERSON: $50
- INCLUDED: KAYAK, PFD, PADDLES AND HAPPY GUIDES
- MAX WEIGHT: 600LBS COMBINED WEIGHT FOR A TANDEM
- AGE RANGE: 5+
- SUGGESTIONS TO BRING: AQUATIC FOOTWEAR, BUG SPRAY, TOWEL,
SUNSCREEN, CASH FOR TIPS (optional), AND A WATER BOTTLE
- LOCATION: Parish park, Titusville
Our Parish park bioluminescence experience is less than 45 mins from E Orlando, the closest tour to the resorts and attractions. Parish park allows us easy access to the spoil Islands where we do our tours from. We are one of the only companaies that allows for a short swim in the bioluminescence. These tours only launch Thursday – Sunday and they do book out extremely fast. Pleaase make your reservations in advance.
This tandem kayak tour will spend a leisurely 90 mins on the water during this tour.
Florida Bioluminescence Kayaking is a bucket list entry for Eco-adventurers of all ages and all kayaking experience levels.
Our tours will launch on the Indian River Lagoon, which has been dubbed as “Florida’s Bioluminescence Bay”, just outside of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on the Indian Lagoon in Titusville, FL. (Your confirmation email will have a directions provided for the specific launch site of your kayak tour).
There is no light pollution on the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, so the bioluminescence, as well as the MILKY-WAY GALAXY above, are extremely bright on moonless nights. Milky-Way season coinsides with our Bioluminescence season! What that means is that from March to October we (those of us in the northern hemisphere) are able to see into the center of the galaxy. Annnd what that means is that we are able to see the bands of our Milky-Way galaxy (which is shaped like a spiral or like a hurricane) over our heads at night, in stunning detail!
The dinoflagellate bioluminescence, when disturbed, is bright enough to light up a cove of trees Neon Blue from a distance, so visibility on a Sit On Top Kayak is not an issue.
Our bioluminescence plankton season opens officially on May 1st! Technically the season lasts from May thru October 31st, but we’ve seen sightings as late as January. The darker the evening the brighter the bioluminescence will be. During peak sesson the bioluminescence is so bright that a full moon will not interrupt visibility in the least.
This phenomenon can only be seen in 5 places on the face of the earth, in the same location, year after year. Titusville FL., is the only place in the continental Untited States where you can see this bioluminescence, year after year in the same location. The water comes to life at night with a magical glow everywhere it is touched by your hand, paddle, kayak, a mullet jumping, fish swimming, or even the waves lapping gently. If scooped into your hand the water will sparkle as you hold it and as it runs down your arm. Many people compare this phenomenon with being in the movie Avatar. This phenomenon is made possible by naturally occurring dinoflagellate plankton that light up the water of the river. They can be observed in these waters May through October with sightings as late as January, but are brightest during the peak season of July through September.
No two adventures will be the same as nature is constantly on the move. No cheesy rehearsed scripts here just guides well versed in their environment.
Note: During the full moon phases bioluminescence does not appear as bright as when it is very dark.